Hard Drive is a computer storage device where everything gets saved forever. It’s not just enough to delete all the data or format it before disposing of the system. Still, the data traces remains somewhere in the hard drive which can be retrieved easily through “File recovery” programs. It’s, therefore, crucial to wipe out data from the hard drive. Here’s how –
How To Wipe Hard Drive Data
- Take the backup of data, if any, to retain.
- Now get the “Data Destruction” program – DBAN.
DBAN is an acronym for Darik’s Boot And Nuke, which is a free data destruction program to erase hard drive memory. Without any prejudice, it scrapes off all the files written or save on the hard drive in question. DBAN is a small sized program of just 20 MB.
- Download – DBAN.
- Save the ISO file anywhere on the computer.
- Burn DBAN on a disc or use the USB drive.
- Now, insert the disc or USB device burned in the previous step.
- DBAN main menu will appear on your screen
- Follow the commands. Pressing F3 on keyboard opens “Quick Commands” screen of DBAN.
- DBAN will then use various commands to eradicate data.
- Choose the hard drive to wipe out.
- The process begins.
- Check if DBAN does its job.
- A message flashed on DBAN screen, ‘DBAN succeeded’.
- That’s all. The hard drive is now empty.
The Bottom Line
It’s creepy if data will compromise. Wiping out hard drive data completely is therefore decisive for data protection. Indeed, the above walkthrough is sheer technical and requires the user to know the nuts and bolts of DBAN program. Hence it’s advisable to get an idea about DBAN before proceeding towards wiping out hard drive data. Once it’s done, all the data will be blown up along with the vulnerability of its misuse.
Hey! My Name is Mario Dawson. I’m a professional software developer based in San Francisco & a deliberate geek. I started this blog to write everything on technology, Smartphones, and futuristic tech products.